Wellness & Healthy Ageing
Staying healthy in a toxic world
Many people who are tired, overworked and sometimes sick know they should be eating the right foods, exercising regularly and taking nutritional supplements. It is often easy to get confused with all the different available information. It is hard to achieve wellness and healthy ageing if you are not sure where to start.
You do not have to be sick to see one of the Naturopaths at Nurtura Health. We have clients who are conscious of wanting to retain their “wellness” at varied stages of life, who have a three, six or twelve-monthly QuadScan and health review to make sure there are no subtle changes to their health and wellbeing.
If you notice changes in your energy or how you feel or variations in your results, it can alert your Naturopath to discuss what has changed in your diet or lifestyle, or the need for other therapeutic intervention. There are many events in life that can challenge mental and physical health. Nurtura Health Naturopaths, Colin and Olive Harris, have many years of experience supporting clients through these events.
Why wellness is for you
Wellness and healthy ageing programs offer many health benefits including:
- Weight loss and weight maintenance
- Better coping mechanisms during stress
- Improved digestion & elimination
- Increasing muscle tone & fitness
- Improved detoxification
- Blood sugar control
- Improved moods
- Better overall health
- Improved energy & vitality
- Healthy skin, more energy, less fatigue
Ensuring you can add life to your years, and years to your life
How wellness works
Wellness is achieved through the following three basic steps:
- Healthy diet
- Optimal digestion and elimination
- Exercise and healthy lifestyle
- Nutritional supplementation
Recommendations for each of these foundations have been specifically developed in line with scientific research and represent cutting edge health recommendations.
If you want to take the next step in enjoying life, health and wellbeing, call Nurtura Health on 0741534112 to make an appointment with one of our Naturopaths.
Congratulations on Making the Commitment to Better Health and Vitality.
Losing body fat is about much more than achieving the right ‘look’. It can be the difference between health and chronic illness or even death. This is especially true for people with certain pre-existing conditions and genetic predispositions.
Some positive reasons to lose body fat are:
- Enhanced energy levels and vitality
- Improved long term health and ageing
- Personal achievement and empowerment
Switching on Fat Burning
Effective Fat Burning needs optimal function of three vital organs – Thyroid (metabolic regulation); Liver (detoxification and fat metabolism); and the Pancreas (blood sugar regulation). The function of these organs can be compromised from many lifestyle & dietary factors and stress. Assessing and supporting the function of the thyroid, liver, and pancreas is critical to achieving and maintaining weight loss.
Fat deposits around the cells contribute to “insulin resistance”. This both drives insulin production (which in turn drives appetite), and compromises efficient carbohydrate metabolism and fat burning.
We can support you to learn which foods are increasing your fat storage, and which foods and in what quantities can allow you to achieve your weight loss goals and maintain a healthy weight with the added benefits of more energy, better moods, hormone balance and a more positive outlook on life.
With so many products and weight loss systems in the marketplace, how do you decide what is right for you?
As each person is uniquely different, we believe it is best to seek qualified professional advice in order to gain long-term results. It is important that a weight loss program can be tailored to suit you and helps to improve your long-term health and wellbeing.
At Nurtura Health our approach addresses “why” you have issues with your weight and your metabolism. We often find there is a combination of thyroid, liver and pancreas issues ie. a sluggish metabolism, inability to burn fat, and irregular blood sugar control. Once these issues are supported, we see clients achieve their weight loss and health goals.
How do I know if I am losing fat or just fluid?
The old saying – “if you can’t measure it, you can’t do it” is true. Our Naturopaths use the information from QuadScan to monitor your weight loss and health. It is very important that you are achieving fat loss and preserving your muscle mass to ensure results and then long-term maintenance.
We support you to achieve your weight-loss journey, monitor your progress, share tips and strategies on how to make the changes you need to enjoy long-term success.
- Reset Health –
Optimize your detoxification capacity, improving overall health and energy
- Eliminate Gut Pathogens –
Help reduce digestive symptoms (pain, bloating and wind) for a happier digestion
- Clear Liver Chemicals –
Enhance the elimination of chemicals and heavy metals to regenerate energy
At Nurtura Health we design individual Detoxification Programs most suited to your health needs and will tailor your detoxification so that you can achieve the best possible results. Throughout the personalised program, your Naturopath will prescribe nutritional and herbal formulas with dietary and lifestyle guidelines to support and enhance your detoxification process.
The ultimate goal of a Detoxification Program is to relieve the body of toxic load, reset the metabolism and restore health, vitality and energy.
- Pregnancy: Detoxification should not be attempted during pregnancy. If you fall pregnant during a detox you should stop the program and contact your Naturopath. However, if you are planning to conceive, it is a very good idea for both partners to detoxify before pregnancy. Eggs and sperm take 3 – 4 months to develop, so combining a detox program with pre-conception care may improve the ability to conceive in addition to a healthy pregnancy and birth outcome.
- Medication: Many prescription medications can be affected by the detoxification process. However, it is unusual that you will need to alter the dosage of the medication you are taking; you may just need to separate the doses away from your detox supplements. Be sure to inform your Naturopath of any medication you are taking before you start your detox so they can provide recommendations on what to do.
- Side effects: Occasionally people complain of adverse symptoms during a detoxification program such as nausea, changes in bowel function or headaches. Please contact your Naturopath if this is the case. At Nurtura Health, we have found incorporating Colon Hydrotherapy and Lymphatic Massage or Bowen Therapy almost always reduces or eliminates any side effects.
I know it is beneficial, but why is Detox important?
Detoxification is nothing new. People have been fasting and cleansing throughout the ages – historical references date back to 2700 BC!!
Given the world that we live in and the lifestyles that we lead it is increasingly obvious that there is a greater need for more awareness generally, but also a need for us to assist our bodies as they constantly work to repair damage and protect us as best they can from all that we are exposed to – pollution in the air we breathe; chemicals we are exposed to; food exposed to modern farming methods and storage.
Our body is constantly working via pathways of detoxification to process and eliminate toxins – the lungs, liver, bowel, kidneys and skin being our major eliminative organs, as well as the blood and lymphatic system.
How do I know if I need a Detox?
The short answer is everyone may benefit from a detox at least once in a 12 month period. Have a look at the list of symptoms below and if you have 3 or more of the symptoms below and/or 3 or more of the lifestyle habits, it may be an indication that your body is showing signs of toxicity and that a detox may be a great way to reduce that overload.
A few common symptoms of toxic overload are:
- Waking up feeling tired, sluggish, fatigued
- Problems concentrating, staying focused or short -erm memory
- Digestive disturbances – gas, bloating, cramps, indigestion, heartburn, diarrhea, constipation
- Sugar craving
- Joint or back pain
- Regular headaches
- Bad breath or a coated tongue
- Dull skin, eczema, psoriasis
Along with these symptoms, our day-t- day environment and lifestyle can add to the strain – check the list below and see how many apply to you:
- Use of chemical domestic cleaning products, inset sprays etc.
- Exposure to chemicals at work
- Antibiotics in the last 12 months
- Regular medications – either prescription or over the counter (including the pill)
- A diet high in sugar or processed foods
- Smoking – tobacco or recreational
- Drinking 3 or more coffees a day
- Drinking alcohol regularly
- Drinking less the 1.5-2 l water a day
Can I have a Colonic when I am detoxing?
Absolutely! We often hear of clients trying the over-the-counter detox kits and complain of headaches and nausea. Firstly, Our Naturopaths recommend your detox is conducted after you have had a thorough assessment and have herbal or nutritional support to ensure your detox is effective without unpleasant side effects.
We find incorporating Colonics increase the effectiveness of the detoxification process and make the whole process more comfortable without the side effects. Our Detox programs at Nurtura Health, like all of our treatment programs, are individually assessed and planned with a personalised prescription for supporting nutritional or herbal preparations.
Our Naturopaths share their knowledge on the latest in complementary healthcare, dis-ease management plus recipes, lifestyle and more…
Whether you're lactose intolerant, following a vegan diet, or simply looking to reduce your environmental footprint, the popularity of dairy alternatives has surged. Similarly, the quest for healthier sugar options has driven people to seek alternatives to refined...
Constipation, it's a common issue that can cause discomfort and concern, but don't worry – we're here to provide you with insights, solutions, and strategies to help you overcome this digestive hurdle. Join us on a journey to comprehend the intricacies of maintaining...
How Does Microbiome Affect My Health?When the body is in a state of homeostasis, it is balanced and working well. However, when unbalanced, this can cause disease and illnesses. Therefore having a healthy microbiome will: Improve digestion Increase immunity You will...
We look forward to meeting you
For all enquiries or to make appointments please call us, email us here.