Headaches can be debilitating, and often there can be numerous factors that are taken into account when trying to identify the leading cause of pain. Some of the most apparent causes of headaches can be related to neck and shoulder tension. The muscles spasm and tighten, causing the scalp’s muscles to contract.
Furthermore, throughout daily life, we are constantly straining to look down at our phones or are sitting at a computer desk hunched over. We walk around eating and multitasking on lunch breaks but looking down at our mobile phones. This repetitive strain and “habit” could be the additional cause of headaches and tension.
The result? You grab for a quick fix via medication.
What can you do to reduce headaches and muscular tension?
- Sit upright and roll your shoulders up towards your ears a few times when seated at your desk. This rolling relaxes the muscles in your neck and shoulders.
- Colon Hydrotherapy; at Nurtura Health, we believe the state of the digestive system has a significant relationship with physical and emotional wellbeing and vitality. This treatment may also help with headaches and muscular tension.
- Diffusing essential oils such as lavender, chamomile and peppermint not only smell great, but the oils encourage the body to relax. At the same time, peppermint oil is known to ease headaches. So, by rubbing the peppermint oil on your temple, back of the neck and wrist (if your body can tolerate it), you can reduce or even eliminate a headache.
- Are you hydrated? Try swapping coffee for herbal tea.
- Simple stretching of the arms and shoulders can realign posture.
- Bowen can be very helpful. Nurtura Health clients have been getting relief from pain and discomfort for many years, where Bowen Therapy delivers signals to the nervous system at specific locations on muscles, tendons, ligaments, or nerves. This powerful combination works magic!
- Herbs, flower essences and supplements can assist in total body relaxation and help with hormonal headaches.
But why do I keep getting headaches?
Whilst there are approximately 150 different types of headaches, the most common are :
- tension headaches;
- migraine headaches;
- sinus headaches;
- hormonal headaches;
- illness headaches;
- environmental headaches;
- stress headaches.
With our assistance, you can find long-term solutions to ease the pain and tension!
Our qualified and friendly Naturopaths will assess your concerns and may help you to find solutions that manage your headaches and tension.